Friday 14 October 2011

Word of the week #24


We're only halfway into October, but it has already been a pretty madcap month and only likely to get moreso in the next two weeks. Having attended the Eurogamer Expo at the end of September, then launched Dead Drop last week, the London Film Festival started yesterday, which I will be attending until the end of the month. That's to say nothing of my ongoing commitment to the Community and South Park television reviews, or even Flixist.

Don't think that I'm complaining, not in the slightest. This blog wouldn't have started if I didn't love doing this kind of stuff - unpaid, yes, but since the attitude in the UK right now seems to be that every recent graduate should have to do at least a year of 'work experience', aka unpaid labour, in the hope of getting a shot at an interesting job at the end of it, I personally would rather be working towards a future doing what I'm passionate about than toiling away on something less exciting, for someone else's gain. So, hooray blogging busyness.

To get back to the original point, it astonishes me how much time I now spend writing, or organising plans for more writing. Handily enough, there's a word for that situation. Your word of the week is...
 
Votary  

Noun: A person who is strictly devoted to a certain pursuit or way of life. It is commonly applied to those undertaking religious service, e.g. nuns, but can also mean someone who spends all of their time working towards a singular goal, or even dedicating themselves to the work of another. Pronounced as written, derives from the Latin votum, meaning 'vow'.

Example: Since my passion for writing stemmed from enjoying the James Bond novels and movies as a child, I suppose you could call me a votary of Ian Fleming.

PREVIOUS WORDS OF THE WEEK