Friday 8 July 2011

Word of the week #10


As you might have noticed, I like choosing words for this feature which are in some way related to the preceding week. Sometimes it can be a word taken from one of the television programs I had reviewed, one which sums up a movie I've just watched, or which was inspired by some random fact or event that happened to be relevant at the time. With my computer being totalled for much of this week, I went looking for a fun word to describe something non-functional, but didn't come across anything suitable.

What I did find, however, was a word which describes that difficulty fairly well. So, somewhat by accident, your word of the week is...
 
Lethologica

Noun: The temporary inability to find the precise word for something, originally referring to a psychiatric condition where such forgetfulness is one of the three main symptoms. I'd tell you the other two, but have forgotten them. From the Greek words lethe (forgetfulness) and logos (word).

Example: "What's that word for when you can't quite express what you want to say? You know when it's on the tip of your tongue? Oh, right. Lethologica. Totally knew that all along."

PREVIOUS WORDS OF THE WEEK